- In School
- From the Principal
- From the Nurse
- Classroom Websites
- Runkle Technology
- Student Resources
- Student Links
- Teacher Links
- School Council
- After School
PTO Meeting Minutes
September 27, 2011
8:05 a.m.–9:30 a.m.
In attendance: Vanessa Beauchaine (principal), Jim Stoddard (vice principal), Angela Galanopoulos (teacher), Teresa Gallo-Toth (librarian), Sandra Costello, Emily Dolbear, Jayne Bennett Friedberg, Shalini Kasida, Elvira Perez, Jen Reed, Alison Reeves
- Dr. B. said that families should have received 2011 MCAS results in the mail. Overall, Runkle results were positive. There will be a formal presentation by Dr. B. to the School Council at its November 15 meeting, which runs from 4 to 5:30 pm, in the library. All are welcome to attend. Mr. Stoddard explained to parents that a “typical” growth score is 40 to 60 percent.
- Dr. B. is investigating the possibility of the town getting directory permission forms to use from parents on a January to January schedule, enabling the school to generate class lists with emails in July. (This arrangement would help room parents create class lists at the beginning of the year.)
- Teresa Gallo-Toth shared the very positive Summer Reading preliminary results: 193 K-5th students participated (up from 167 in 2010) and 49 6th-8th students participated. Some parents were positive about the option for older grades to submit their forms online. Others thought more information about the deadline would be useful.
- Teresa Gallo-Toth confirmed that author and illustrator Giles LaRouche would be coming this year to Runkle to speak with the third grade. She is investigating a K-2 author visit (perhaps Grace Lin) as well as scientist and author Loree Burns for sixth grade. Peter Lourie is also a possible option for fourth and fifth grades, perhaps on December 1 in the evening.
- Details about the new library website are to come!
Room Parent Coordinator Update
- All potluck dinner hosts have been arranged, and room parent cluster get-togethers are being scheduled.
Upcoming Events Update
- Picture Day is October 3. Parent volunteers are needed. In case of rain, photos will be taken in the library. While the Runkle PTO offers help organizing volunteers on Picture Day, it is run by the school. Dr. B. also requested three to six parent volunteers before school to monitor the early arrivals so that the photographer can take a picture of the entire school staff.
- Car Free Day, October 5. Volunteers are needed to stamp hands in the morning for this townwide event. Since so many Runkle students take the bus, there will be many participants.
- Halloween Fair, October 21. Planning is going well. Volunteers are still needed!
- Food on Wheels, October 23: Food drive will start in early October. Collection boxes will be outside the main office. Coordinator Josie Peterson will be asked to provide further details, including information about the Brookline Food Pantry, for the Runkle News. Angela Galanopoulos suggested reaching out to the older students through Runkle’s seventh and eighth grader community service coordinator, Brea Snyder, and will pass on the related information to her.
- Astronomy Night: Planning for this evening is ongoing. Details will follow.
PTO Chairs Update
- Thank yous from Runkle staff for stipends, paid from the Annual Fund, will be shared via Runkle News, so parents are informed of the impact of their donations.
- All Brookline PTO financial reports are due to Brookline Public Schools on October 1.
- ECS Coffee will be held October 11, in the library, at 8:15 a.m.
PTO Board Share
- This year’s PTO Open Houses went smoothly, and many familiar and new parents are now aware of the many PTO activities and volunteer opportunities.
- Posters for various PTO events should include the tagline: “A PTO Community Event” to inform the Runkle community about what events are run by parents and funded by the PTO Annual Fund. All parents are members of the Runkle PTO; there are no “dues.”
—Submitted by PTO Co-Chairs Sandy Costello and Emily Dolbear; notes taken by Elvira Perez, September 27, 2011
SEPAC monthly meeting8:30 am Brookline Town Hall,
Early Dismissal K-812:00 pm
No School:Thanksgiving Vacation
Tweets from RunkleRunkleSchool RT @RunkleVPNews: 8th Grade Graduates say goodbye to all their teachers @RunkleSchool #traditions #tears #wewillmissyouall https://t.co/dsJ…RunkleSchool RT @joboaler: I love this math online game, it combines math, creativity, conceptual thinking & exploration. Try it for yourself! https://t…RunkleSchool RT @RunkleVPNews: Runkle Student-Inspired Pride Parade #yourrunkle #allrwelcome #runkleproud @RunkleSchool https://t.co/mqo33J9CWERunkleSchool RT @RunkleVPNews: Field Day @RunkleSchool was a huge success! Thanks to Student Council!#sadgoodbyes https://t.co/dEzs3sJdU2
- (https://runklepto NULL.org)
RUNKLE NEWS SIGNUP
Order Runkle Gear!Runkle School Webstore (http://www NULL.amerasport NULL.com/RUNKLE-SCHOOL/departments/1754/)
Tweets from TeachersTweets from https://twitter.com/runkletech/lists/runkle-school (https://twitter NULL.com/runkletech/lists/runkle-school)