RUNKLE SCHOOL COUNCIL

MEETING MINUTES

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

 

Members Present:  V. Beauchaine, B. Chang, J. Shapiro, R. McElroy, R. Kemp, J. Stoddard, T. Gallo-Toth, M. Schweiger, M. Voros, J. Katz, D. Dixon, G. Sopel, V. Godhwani, A. Hummel, S. Stern (4:40 arrival)

Members Absent: C. Pelton, D. Halwick

 

Meeting called to order at 4:08PM

 

I. Welcome to New Members and Certificates of Appreciation to Members whose terms were completed.


II. Approval of Minutes 4/28/11

a. Approved unanimously with no corrections

 

III. Current Issues/Public Comment

a. Scott Murphy in attendance

i. Request for council to better communicate to the community when meetings are cancelled and to make certain minutes are posted on Runkle website and in the binder in principal’s office.

1. If any parent would like to review the minutes, they can contact Vanessa Beauchaine to review a hard copy that is kept in a binder in her office or they can find it on the Runkle website.

ii. Request for council guidelines to be posted on the Runkle website.  V. Beauchaine will look into this as they had been posted previously.

iii. Had a question regarding the timing of school council elections.  Going forward, the election dates will be set and noted on the PTO calendar.

iv. Suggested reviewing previous bullying surveys for any trends.

 

IV. School Improvement Plan

a. SIP were made available to members prior to the meeting.  Two members received their copies of the SIP at this meeting.

b. Goal 8 – J. Shapiro suggested a sub-committee to assist with communication & other community related issues in regards to the transition.

c.    Discussion ensued regarding the need to mow the grass around the building project as it is overgrown.  V. Beauchaine will follow up with the town to ensure the area around the school is properly maintained.

 

V. School Council Handbook

a. Digital version will be emailed to members.  Those members interested in joining a sub-committee to review & edit the handbook should contact V. Beauchaine.  V. Beauchaine will post any meetings of this sub-committee in case others who are interested care to join.

 

VI. Review of Meeting Minutes from April 2009 (In response to complaint filed 3/31/11)

a. Copies of minutes from April 2009 were handed out to all members to review.

b. Current 2011-2012 SIP coupled with the Handbook should sufficiently address issues such as those including bullying concerns and procedures around absences and tardy arrivals in the future.

 

VII. Meeting Schedule for 2011-2012

a. The following schedule is set for meetings for he 2011-2012 school year: 9/13, 10/11, 11/15, 12/13, 1/10, 2/14, 3/13, 4/10, 5/8, 6/12.

b. All meetings listed will begin at 4:00 p.m. and will be scheduled to end at 5:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted on the meeting posting.

 

VIII. Other

a. G. Sopel requested greater confidentiality in future school council voting process.  The request will be sent to the PTO.

b. R. McElroy requested the council to review of school budget in the future.  V. Beauchaine explained that it will be an agenda item in October 2011.

c. New members received a copy of the MA Open Meeting Law and were asked to sign a receipt of acknowledgement.

 

Meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Val Godhwani

 

Tagged with:
 

Comments are closed.